Monday, March 5, 2012

Cooking: Spaghetti 'n' Sausage

First Post - Welcome!!


Question: How do you get kids excited about cooking dinner? 
Answer: Make it a game!

I found the original inspiration for this recipe here, and then I decided it might be more tasty with Chicken Apple Sausage instead of hot dogs.   Enjoy!



Spaghetti 'N' Sausage
1/2 box of Spaghetti
1 12. oz. package of Chicken Apple Sausage or other sausage of your choice
2 tbl. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
3 tbl. butter (or 3 tbl. of olive oil)

I gathered the kids into the kitchen and presented our ingredients: Spaghetti & Sausage (the first time around we used Chicken Apple Sausage, by you can use any sausage you like.)

I sliced up all the sausage into 1/2 inch discs.

Then, I let the kids get to work.  At first we used a kabob skewer to poke holes in the meat, but then I realized the spaghetti was thick enough to cut through without breaking.   We stuck various numbers of spaghetti sticks through various piece of sausage.  My son preferred 8 pieces of sausage per spaghetti stick.  My daughter went with 3 pieces of sausage attached to 3 spaghetti sticks.   On one go round, I put 8 sticks of spaghetti through 1 piece of sausage.  


We arranged them on the tray, ready to pour into a pot of boiling water and included some extra spaghetti to cook at the same time.  I added 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt to the water, and boiled it all per the directions on the spaghetti package.

After it was all cooked, we drained out the water and added the butter.  


The kids loved the way the noodles dangled out of the pasta!

Tasted really good too!

Bowl was empty in record time.

Any thoughts on how to improve upon this recipe? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment